Autopsy and Case Reports
Autopsy and Case Reports
Clinical Case Report and Review

Dermal cylindroma of the external auditory canal

Vivek Dokania; Indranil Mukherjee

Downloads: 0
Views: 121


External auditory canal (EAC) cylindroma is a rare tumor that mainly presents as a painless mass over the lateral aspect of the ear canal. They have been designated under different nomenclatures in the literature, and controversies persist about their etiology and histogenesis. Moreover, a clinical diagnosis of EAC cylindroma is often challenging because of their rarity and a close resemblance with other adnexal benign and malignant tumors. None of the previous authors have extensively reviewed the dermal cylindroma of the EAC. We provide an extensive review involving PubMed and Google Scholar and report by Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses standards. A total of 8 cases are included in the current study. The mean age is 55.13 years. There are six females and two males. The left and right ear are involved in 62.50% and 37.50% of cases, respectively. The most common sign/symptom is painless mass (50%). Five authors reported a primary lesion (62.50%), while the remaining 3 reported a recurrent tumor (37.50%). Benign versus malignant cylindroma is reported in 87.50% and 12.50% of cases, respectively. All, except one case, reported a solitary swelling. Surgical excision was employed in all the cases. Primary defect closure versus defect closure with local/distant skin graft /flap is utilized in 37.50% and 62.50% of cases, respectively.


Ear, Ear canal, Ear neoplasms


1 Crain RC, Helwig EB. Dermal cylindroma (dermal eccrine cylindroma). Am J Clin Pathol. 1961;35(6):504-15. PMid:13696220.

2 Ramadass T. Cylindroma of external ear. J Laryngol Otol. 1966;80(8):863-6. PMid:4287680.

3 Wilson RS, Johnson JT. Benign eccrine cylindroma of the external auditory canal. Laryngoscope. 1980;90(3):379-82. PMid:6244467.

4 Wolf BA, Gluckman JL, Wirman JA. Benign dermal cylindroma of the external auditory canal: a clinicopathological report. Am J Otolaryngol. 1985;6(1):35-8. PMid:2983579.

5 Sharma HS, Meorkamal MZ, Zainol H, Dharap AS. Eccrine cylindroma of the ear canal--report of a case. J Laryngol Otol. 1994;108(8):706-9. PMid:7930929.

6 Mashkevich G, Undavia S, Iacob C, Arigo J, Linstrom C. Malignant cylindroma of the external auditory canal. Otol Neurotol. 2006;27(1):97-101. PMid:16371854.

7 Schwarz D, Drebber U, Ortmann M, Anagiotos A. Benign cylindroma: a rare differential diagnosis of external ear canal tumour. BMJ Case Rep. 2016;2016:bcr2015212035. PMid:26759396.

8 Ross T, Virk JS, Karim S, Awad Z. Benign dermal cylindroma in the external auditory canal-a case report. Ear Nose Throat J. 2021;100(5, Suppl):417S-9S. PMid:31646891.

9 Pulec JL, Parkhill EM, Devine KD. Adenoid cystic carcinoma (cylindroma) of the external auditory canal. Trans Am Acad Ophthalmol Otolaryngol. 1963;67:673-94. PMid:14064627.

10 Heinritz W, Grunewald S, Strenge S, et al. A case of Brooke-Spiegler syndrome with a new mutation in the CYLD gene. Br J Dermatol. 2006;154(5):992-4. PMid:16634909.

11 Singh DD, Naujoks C, Depprich R, et al. Cylindroma of head and neck: review of the literature and report of two rare cases. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2013;41(6):516-21. PMid:23260808.

12 Lassaletta L, Patrón M, Olóriz J, Pérez R, Gavilán J. Avoiding misdiagnosis in ceruminous gland tumours. Auris Nasus Larynx. 2003;30(3):287-90. PMid:12927294.

Submitted date:

Accepted date:

Publication date:

6536802ca953957a94686816 autopsy Articles
Links & Downloads

Autops Case Rep

Share this page
Page Sections